Time Until USA

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Strike!

My parents arrived on Saturday and they got to see my first home game against St. Raphael. We won 3-0 and it was really fun to play at home! I am so excited that they are here! My mom made peanut butter cookies before she came because they don't really eat peanut butter here and everyone LOVED them!! Sunday we woke up early and took the train to Paris! We first stopped off to take pics of the Eiffel Tower and then the Arc de Triomphe! Then we hit up the Louvre! My dad apparently loves art (which I never knew) because he was taking pics of almost everything we passed. Now the Louvre is pretty big so it took a while! We grabbed lunch in the Louvre cafeteria and then we went to check in at our really cute hotel! It right near the Opera! We took a 30 minute cat nap and then headed to Sacre Coeur and Montmartre! We walked through the beautiful Basilica and then decided to go see the crypts and go up to the top of the dome! Well the crypts were closed but we decided to take the stairs all the way to the top of the dome. It was soooo cool and I am really happy that we decided to go. As we walked and walked and walked up the stairs the bell tower started ringing because mass was starting below us. We could see the entire city from the top and we got some really cool pictures! When we went down we decided to see how far into mass they were. The priest was in the homily and so we decided to stay for the rest! After mass we went to dinner at an Italian restaurant. It was good food but our waiter was rather "surly" in the words of my mom. Then we took the metro to the Eiffel Tower to see it lit up at night! It was really really cool and I am so glad we went back at night! We walked from one side, underneath it, crossed the Seine river and then made it to view it from the other side. We got some great pictures! We also saw it all flash like it does on the hour. We decided not to make the venture to the top because it was FREEZING! I'm pretty sure I convinced them that since we already saw the city from Sacre Coeur, that we didn't need to do it again. I knew how cold it was from when Nicole and I went in the daytime. Monday morning we went to Fauchon (the famous chocolate shop) and then to Notre Dame. Then we jumped on the metro to head back to the train station. Our train left at 12:45 and was supposed to arrive in Nantes at 3:15... perfect timing to make my practice at 5!

Well, we arrived at the train station and our train wasn't on the board... Hmm. We asked and someone told us, "O, it was cancelled because of the strike." OK. I started to freak out a little because I had to be back for practice. They told us just to get on the next train with no seat. Weird. But we did it and the train was scheduled to arrive at 4:15. I had to be at practice by 4:45. It I am late, I get charged. So, I made some calls and finally we figured out a plan. My teammates boyfriend picked me up from the train station, swung me by my apartment to grab my things and took me straight to the gym. I arrived at 4:45 on the nose! Talk about stressful! Wow!

Tuesday, I had to go to a special medical visit for my visa. Nicole and I headed to our appointment at 1:30 and proceeded to sit in a room until 3:30 without our name being called. People who arrived after us were getting called before us. WOWW! So finally we said something, and they told us they had forgotten about us. They got us in to see the 4 different doctors. After a very interesting topless chest x-ray and seeing the other doctors, we finally left at 4:45! O France!

This morning my parents were headed to Geneva so that they can make it to my game near there on Saturday. They had a flight out of Nantes. We left way before the flight to try to find some gas however we did not have any luck. I wouldn't have had enough gas to get them there and back so we went to plan B. I brought my parents back to the hotel where they called a cab. Well they tried multiple places and finally one agreed (all because of gas and the strike). So the taxi came and took them to the airport! Here is the text word for word that I received from my mom:

"OMG. We just arrived at our gate. The plane is flying but stories to tell about how we got here. The airport exits were closed both directions off the interstate so the cab driver took us through the countryside for 30 min to find the back way in. We arrived at the airport greeted by numerous armed guards, a fire somewhere in the vacinity and a 56 euro cab ride. But we are here!! BTW, there was one gas station open on the interstate but the line was about a mile long. Love you and hopefully we will see you on Saturday!!"

That about sums up strike. Today all the workers decided to block all the entrances of all the airports today so that passengers couldn't get inside so that is what my parents were dealing with!

I went to a gas station that my teammates told me about and waited in line for over an hour to get gas! But Bertha (our car) now has a full tank of gas and she is ready to go! So that is life in France currently! Tomorrow the Senate will vote on the bill again! Everyone is on strike because the government is changing the retirement age from 60 to 62. And since the government pays all the retirement salaries for all the workers, everyone is upset! I hope the vote tomorrow goes well or else we may have some problems getting to our game this weekend. We are supposed to take the train, but they informed us that if it is cancelled then we will drive the 10 hours in buses there. But "with what gas?" is my question!!

No comments:

Post a Comment